Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Scarlet Letter (Graphic Novel) by Nathaniel Hawthorne




Hester Prynne, after being found out of adultry, must wear the scarlet letter "A" upon her chest. She must suffer the insults and attacks of her Puritan neighbors. The judges plead with her to name the man that she committed adultry with, but she refuses them. There is nothing left for her except to take care of her baby girl, Pearl, and to hide the identity of her lover (even from her husband).


I know that there is much more to this story than what this thin graphic novel version is telling us. I am really wanting to read the whole thing now.


There are a few things that I didn't understand. Did her she marry her husband because it was arranged? Or was she, at one time, in love with him? I think that is a critical piece of information that was left out! Were there any other stipulations placed on her by the judges? Or was wearing the A punishment enough? And why did she embroider her letter in that way? It really didn't answer these questions.


It did deal with some interesting issues and this book might spark some religious questions. I think I would really like the full version and, at my earliest convenience, I plan to buy it.


I can't rate this higher because it left so much unsaid, but I can't give it lower because it did a great job getting some of the major themes across. So, I will give it a temporary three, until I can better judge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment